In Japan, you have to be careful when choosing your halal food. Especially when going out and you want to eat at the fast food restaurants. Obviously, beef and chicken are haram.
I looked for some info about this matter, and here is what I got:
- Lotteria : Vegetable oil is used for prawn hamburgers, potatoes and apple pies. The shortening contained in the bread for hamburgers is made by only vegetable oil.
- Kentucky : Vegetable oil is used for fish, potatoes' and apple pies separated from fried chickens. The shortening contained bread for hamburgers is made by only vegetable oil.
- Mr.Donut : Vegetable shortening and vegetable oil are used.
- McDonald : Lard is used as oil for cooking for fish burgers and potatoes.
- Mos Burger : Though vegetable oil is used for cooking, fish and potatoes are fried together with pork and other meats.
ps: These information are based on telephone contacts between Islamic Association of Nagoya and the head offices of each manufacturing company and factory.
pss: lard is fat from the abdomen of a pig that is rendered and clarified for use in cooking.
source: Islamic Association of Nagoya